February 12, 1949, my grandparents, Lucia Carmella Fascilione and Orlando Joseph Bruno, were united in marriage. They were my second set of parents and I truly am who I am today in part thanks to their unconditional love and support. Not many twenty-somethings have the fortune to call their grandparents some of their best friends, but Grams (when she was still with it) and Papa (when the world was blessed enough to have him in it) were my best pals. I loved watching them jitterbug in the kitchen, fight over who was cheating at 500 Rummy and scratch lottery tickets at the kitchen table. I love how my Grams would say aloud, "Boy, I wish I had an ice cream cone" and minutes later Papa would bring her one, just the strawberry and vanilla from the Neapolitan box. Papa would take her to the gambling boat and she'd win pretty much every time. So many of my fondest memories are set in their kitchen, watching Grams in her apron make gravy and meatballs and Pops drink wine from a juice glass while grating cheese on the counter. I can still hear the sound of the top of the cookie jar opening and seeing Papa eat a Popsicle in two bites. They fought like hell though. Grams drove Papa nuts. Despite that, I love their love and they were amazing parents and grandparents. Look how beautiful Grams looks and Papa sure looks dapper on their wedding day:
I found it fitting that today is also Abraham Lincoln's 201st birthday. He is one of Dan's favorite people in the world and I love this quote from Abe:
"All that I am or hope to be I owe to you"
Truer words were never spoken, thank you, Gramma and Papa.
(Abe rainbow print courtesy of Justin Richel Art http://www.etsy.com/shop/JustinRichel)


No comments:
Post a Comment