Wednesday, May 26, 2010

love this quote!


“The greatest joy is to become a mother; the second greatest is to be a midwife.”
— Norwegian Proverb

I simply cannot wait to become both :)  The joy I feel when I witness a birth, hear a woman's birth story or even think about birth, I feel complete and know I am traveling down the right path, career wise.  I love the ancient, 'forever-ness' of midwives...they've been around ever since we have.  I feel fortunate that my passion lies in a field so rich with history and I cannot wait to make history someday as well.  (For those who don't know already, my ultimate dream is to open the first freestanding birth center in Illinois)...  Illinois is behind the times on birth centers and professional midwives (ahem, probably because the American Medical Association calls Chicago home.  In 2007, IL legislature passed a public act allowing 10 freestanding birth centers throughout the state.  Now if only I could find someone with lots and lots of money who is incredibly passionate about birth as social justice, as a human rights issue...... Any takers?

An Aztec Midwife

Roman carving of a midwife attending a birth
(1st Century AD)

Hebrew midwives attending Moses' birth

2 comments:

  1. I'm booking you already to be a part of any other child birth experience I have! Btw; I was at the doctors yesterday and she was talking about how amazing it was to have you and Jami with me and how she thought it was the most beautiful delivery. :) Thanks again for being such a huge part of that! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! Wyatt's birth was one of the best moments of my life :) (Yours too, of course!) I'm so glad you achieved the birth you wanted and deserved!!

    ReplyDelete