Buon Compleanno, Zio Pietro!
Today also marks another day in the Bruno family, one that saddens our hearts. Seven years ago, Papa Bruno, left this earthly world to reunite with all his loved ones who have gone before into heaven. He is more than my grandfather, but a father to me and I am who I am today because of his love and guidance. The light in our family grew dimmer with his passing and we miss his laugh, his loud, enthusiastic yelling, the way he could eat a meatball in a single bite, the way his hair always smelled of Old Spice and italian grandpa. :) I closed my eyes before bed last night and just imagined and remembered him from head to toe. His blue 'magic' birthmark on his temple, his glasses, his smile, the way he'd sign his name, his strong muscles, his hands. He is a part of me each and every day.
Papa wrote this poem for me after I was born. He wrote it on the back of his railroad timecard.
Nothing like love and sensitivity in a big, strong man...a Bruno characteristic I am proud to know.
The poem reads "The gift I give you/ I cherish forever in time/ You shall love and honor it as I do mine/
For God created it/ Just for you/ Above all others/ The gift I give you/ Is your mother."
I love my family.

No comments:
Post a Comment