Wednesday, November 25, 2009

november update

November was a bit of a crazy month....

-Dan finished his 5th quarter at DePaul.  Only one more quarter of classroom time, then one quarter of student teaching and he will be Mr. Dan Merk, M.Ed.!

-I finished my 4th quarter at Rush.  Two more quarters of classroom time, a 3 month residency and then I will be Nurse Dede (RN, MSN, CNL)!!  The CNL stands for 'clinical nurse leader...' I am still unsure of what I can do with those letters.  It's a relatively new credential, so we'll see...  I wish it stood for 'crafty nurse lady' because I have been a craftin' fool lately. :)

-Dan lost his job...again.  We are doing our best to stay positive and make the best out of 'fun-employment.'  I'm babysitting up a storm and took a job as a research assistant at Rush to make a few extra bucks.  Thankfully, we have a very loving, supportive family that makes sure we aren't eating cat food.

Yesterday marked the first day of our awesome 6 week winter break.  This quarter really kicked both our tails.  It was my favorite quarter by far, as I got to spend my time in labor and delivery, postpartum, and the neonatal intensive care unit caring for the ittiest and bittiest of babies.  It was still absolutely exhausting though.  I cannot believe how fast the program is going.  I was hoping when I started it would fly by, because Dan and I are so anxious to just settle down and not come home after a long day to a pile of homework.  We have to believe our hard work will pay off soon.

We made a list of things we'd like to do over break that are free and fun and hopefully we can check a bunch of them off.  Here's some ideas on our list:  go ice skating at Millennium Park, go to the Botanic Garden again, watch our wedding video, go hiking, take a drive up to Lake Geneva to play for the day, see a few movies, spend some nice quality time with our friends/family.

Two weeks ago, Mom took Dan and I to see Young Frankenstein downtown at the Cadillac Palace Theatre.  It was hilarious.  There were some super raunchy songs (one entitled 'Don't Touch my Tits') and storm of F-bombs flew.  It was a great way to spend a random Tuesday night out on the town.






Then, Dan and I got rush student tickets to the Music of the Baroque's performance of Vivaldi's The Four Seasons.  The Four Seasons is one of our favorites and it was awesome being performed inside an old Methodist Church in downtown Evanston.  We loved it!



Monday marked the last day of this quarter so my buddy, Jancis and I hosted a Cookie Exchange party here to celebrate with our fellow school pals.  I have never seen so many treats! Our whole house smelled like chocolate YUM!  We had a ton of fun and so many of our classmates came out to celebrate. We definitely need to do this more often!  I feel very fortunate that I've met some great friends through Rush.  I know I have found friends that I will carry with me through life once my time at Rush is complete.  Jancis brought her adorable son, Eli, who was the man of the hour.  He was our entertainment and is such a sweet little guy.









Thanksgiving.....
We had one awesome Thanksgiving at Kiki and Kathy's on Sunday.  We have two more coming up.  I will post about all those at once.
Hope everyone has a blessed Thanksgiving.  I am one grateful girl for all the family, friends and blessings I hold close to my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment