Sunday, February 6, 2011

stand and deliver

I follow Dr Rixa Freeze's blog, Stand and Deliver, all about birth, the state of medicine today, women's health advocacy.  I am, as you can guess from my profession, as well as the material on my blog, very very passionate about normal, physiological pregnancy and birth.  I believe in a woman's ability to sustain life and perform miracles of nature.  I am also grateful for technology that can prevent or improve diseases and complications of this very miracle.  I, unlike some nurses, am a big fan of birth plans.  I understand very well that labor and birth is not always a predictable course, but some general preferences can make all the difference in a patient's level of trust, comfort and satisfaction with their birth experience.  While some nurses may laugh at patient's preferences, I am all for it! This is an experience the patient will remember, in detail, for the rest of their lives.  I don't take the privilege of attending one's birth lightly.  Dr Freeze wrote out her birth plan and I love it!  My favorite part is about her wanting to birth "Captain Morgan" style.  Hilarious!  Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. i love love love it! Your the best nurse ever!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks, k! amazing, strong mamas like you inspire me to be a better nurse!

    ReplyDelete