So, a pelvic MRI (Thank you, amazingly bright Dr Wood Molo!), a 3D ultrasound with doppler study, found that my uterus is not two uteruses after all, but one uterus divided in two by a septum.
Exhibit A, a normal babymaker:
Exhibit B, my babymaker, split in two by a septum
You're probably thinking, 'what the eff is a septum?' Well, think of a bell pepper as a uterus. The red part is healthy, blood rich tissue (where an embryo would like to call home). The septum is the white part of a bell pepper, so when baby tries to implant, there's nothing to sustain it, hence these multiple chemical pregnancies/early losses. My babymaker has a full septum from the top of the uterus (fundus) down to the cervix. So, thankfully, after a long road, this. can. be. FIXED! My amazing magical detective doctor will go in through the cookie (still pretty gross, but better than getting my belly cut open) with a scope and teeny tiny scissors and snip the sucker out. It's an outpatient surgery, so I'll be at Rush for most of the day and then go home and sleep off my Propofol cocktail (Michael Jackson's drug o'choice...). Only bummer is I have to have a balloon up in there for 4 days to keep the uterus open so it won't scar on itself. The balloon has a drainage tube on the end and at the end of the tube there will be, per Dr Wood Molo, "a few fingers from a surgical glove, taped to your leg...so when the tube/glove fingers fill with blood, it'll look like you have a boner on your leg." Awesome. My doctor is Macgyver-ing a weiner to my leg. My FAVEY!
Hopefully after I heal, my uterus will look like this:
God answered our prayers in a very unusual fashion, though we appreciate the answers all the same. It sucks I need surgery, but I am grateful it can be fixed. I need to heal up and then we can start again on the road to meeting our own chubby, adorable little baby. Dan and I are beyond thankful for our family and friends, all the love and prayers that have been given to us during this journey. We could not get through it without you and we appreciate you walking this trying road with us. So, tomorrow is the BIG DAY!!!! Operation Fix-the-Babymaker! Surgery is at 10:30am. Send your prayers and light on over to Rush's operating room tomorrow please, to bless the doctors, and let the surgery be a successful one.
Thank you from the bottom of our hearts for your support. Words don't do justice to how grateful we are for our loving support system. You iz AWESOME!
Oh, and here's a really cute picture of us, just to convince the universe that we really should pass our adorable genes down:



Sending lots and lots of prayers and well wishes your way! I can not wait to read the news of you being pregnant in the future!!
ReplyDeletethank you SO much bethany!!! God works in mysterious ways and I know we will be blessed someday soon!! thanks for your love!!
ReplyDeleteMaybe we should rub bellies when Chris and I get to come stay with you at the end of this month, just to pass on some of the good baby juju. I can't imagine better parents than you guys, so I hope the snip of your septum is swift and as painless as possible. (Also, your doctor sounds amazeballs.)
ReplyDeleteSo happy you found the right people and this mystery was solved!!! If I weren't working tomorrow, I'd come say hi! But I'll be sensing you happy thoughts from the NICU! and let's catch up soon, ok???? --alli
ReplyDeleteMy most beautiful amazing friend, I can't for this naughty septum to meet it's demise tomorrow morning!!! Then I can't wait for your little gift from God to make her home in your cozy uterus:) maybe two??? Maybe:) I love you with my whole heart and know you will do great tomorrow! I will be praying on you all day:) I love you!
ReplyDeleteThats TODAY!!!! Ya I just finishedd a nite shift! This is great! Praying for you!
ReplyDeleteThinking about you! Praying for quick healing! Let me know if you want me to come over and help with anything
ReplyDeleteBeautiful girl! I can't believe this! I'm late commenting, sorry, but how are you doing now? Is there anything I can do besides send up prayers?
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad there is a fix! You've had the surgery by now, but I'm still sending lots of positive thoughts your way. How did it go? Update when you have a chance.
ReplyDeleteI loved your graphics and descriptions by the way. Priceless! :)