Friday, December 2, 2011

eight years of gratitude

Tomorrow marks eight. whole. years. since I was diagnosed with acute myeloid leukemia.  There are no words to accurately capture my feelings on the experience.  It changed my entire being.  Going through hell, making it through to the other side and looking back with disbelief, shock and gratitude is a mind blowing, soul changing experience.  I am grateful for my beautiful mother who was with me every step of the way.  I would not have made it through (or laughed so much in the face of adversity) without her. I am grateful for my family, friends and the kindness of strangers who supported us.

What a difference eight years makes....




The beautiful thing about eight years passing is today, this weekend, each and every day is just a normal, boring day.  We (Mom and I) would pray for 'boring' days in the hospital.  Uneventful days with stable vitals, normal labs, peace and quiet.  Each ordinary day since then is an absolute blessing.  

May you and yours stop for a moment this weekend to recognize and appreciate the beauty of a normal, boring day.  To everyone who has supported us over the years, thank you from the bottom of my very happy heart.  Health is your greatest wealth.  I can't believe how lucky I am.  God is good.  I am blessed and thankful that my family, friends, amazing doctors and faith in God helped me through it all.


***If you or someone you know is a young adult needing support after a cancer diagnosis please visit some organizations that do amazing work and helped make me who I am today***:







And one more very important message before you go....



4 comments:

  1. Woohoo Dana!! May you be blessed with more many years of health and happiness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE YOU! I loved this post! Made me cry and then pee my pants at the end. Those are some truly special pictures:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. how beautiful...congratulations...continue to be blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YOU are an awesome woman....not just because you beat cancer in the face, but because you are YOU! (and you make me smile when you like my eyeshadow....)

    ReplyDelete